Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Workout Wednesday


Do your legs itch whenever you try to exercise? 


In high school I was an avid runner, I even ran two half-marathons. . well as I got older, my activity level dwindled and just recently I decided to get back into the swing of things. . except for one HUGE problem. . every time I started to run, or even walk in excess, my legs started to itch UNCONTROLLABLY, I tried everything, wearing more lotion, wearing spandex, wearing shorts. . nothing would help! I would itch until the point where I could not STAND IT anymore and had to stop, mind you this was before I made it around the block even once. . so I did my research.


Apparently a lot of individuals have this itching, and it is the result of an inactive lifestyle. A professional certified trainer was interviewed by cfnews13.com and explained the un-scratchable itch, when active, the capillaries in your legs contract and expand fairly easily, but if you are inactive, they lose elasticity and do not expand as readily as they used to. 


For this reason,when you exercise, the nerve endings in the capillaries will transmit the sudden expansion and the brain translated this into an itch! The itching is actually inside the skin, so no matter what you do, you cannot stop itching. . the good news?


After a consistent workout regimen, your capillaries will be running as usual and no more itching!! After a few weeks of scheduled exercise, if the itching does not go away, consulting a doctor would be the best move, due to the fact that there are more serious conditions where itching occurs. . but for the most part, if you just suck it up, you will stop itching, and personally. . I can't wait for the day to come! I will know that my exercise is on the right track and that my capillaries are healthy and running at optimum potential! 


Picture from www.traxee.com

1 comment:

  1. the one time i got on a treadmill this year it happened to me too!! lol

    XO Kimmy
    www.Strawberry-Stiletto.com

    ReplyDelete